Spring is here and in Oklahoma that can often mean serious weather. Our roofs often take a beating.
When the time comes to assess damage to your roof or having work done, here are some helpful tips to make sure you are getting what you pay for.
- Look for an established, licensed or bonded roofer and request references. Oklahoma requires that roofers be registered with the state. To see a list of the roofing contractors that have registered with the state you can go to the Construction Industries Board site for Oklahoma and click on the roofers tab.
- Ask to see certificates of insurance to be sure both Oklahoma General Liability and Workers Compensation insurance coverage are carried.
- Insist on a detailed, written estimate with a breakdown of labor and material charges.
- Carefully review and understand any warranties offered. Make sure you understand the fine print. This can keep you from inadvertently voiding a manufacturer’s warranty.
- Use caution (ask questions) before accepting a bid substantially lower than other bids covering the same repair work. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
- Contact your local Better Business Bureau to check for complaints filed against the contractor.